4 Strategies for marketing small and medium businesses in Kenya
1. Local business marketingMost of the time, small businesses have limited resources, just enough to serve the local market. From a marketing perspective, it is logical for these small businesses to design strategies that target just the local market and afterward as they grow, extend their reach. Local business listing ( directory listing) as well Google My Business offers the perfect opportunity to achieve the goal of marketing locally. Google my business lets entrepreneurs and business owners list their business where potential local customers can find them. This is one of the most effective forms of marketing, and at the same time, it is the one of the cheapest since you don’t have to pay a dime to be listed by Google. What makes local business listing super efficient is the fact that this strategy is highly targeted. Unlike other marketing strategies where the message is received by wrong audiences, like a television advert promoting a restaurant in Nakuru but received by an audience in Kisumu or Mombasa, local business listing targets customers in the locality searching for products and services you offer. Visit google.com and try searching for local businesses in your area such as “hospital in Nairobi”, “web designers near me”, “web designers in Nairobi”, "marketing agencies in Nairobi" replace Nairobi with your local area. These searches return a list of local business or service providers near you, their phone numbers, business website and directions to their stores.
This is a level of market targeting that marketers never thought will see the light of the day, but it's a reality today. Small enterprises with a limited budget can leverage this strategy as it is both free and very efficient. A marketing agency can help listing your business with Google My Business and also help get your business listed on other local directories, you can accomplish this process on your own but when you need to be thorough, look at different marketing agencies in Nairobi, and hire the best agency for consultancy and assistance in implementing these strategies.
2. Leverage the power of search enginesIn every business, it is crucial to know your customers, know where they shop, how they buy, when they shop and how they find product and services. Understanding consumer behavior is the answer to successful marketing. Consumer buying process begins with the search for goods or services and today customers are using search engines like Google to find the products and services. There are over 3.5 billion searches per day, this includes your potential customers searching for products/services similar to what you offer. Leveraging the power of search engines offers a chance for your small business to capture the attention of these potential clients, but how do you achieve this? You do this by ensuring your business is listed on the first page of search engine results through search engine optimization (SEO). Search engine optimization is the process of making a website to rank higher on search results and hence maximizing the number of people visiting the website. What makes SEO very effective is the fact that it is a cost-effective strategy, highly targeted and it reinforces other digital marketing strategies. Achieving a top spot on search engine results is something that every enterprise should strive to achieve. SEO is a process that you implement on your own, but my advice is you hire a digital marketing agency in Nairobi capable of offering expert SEO services and SEO consultancy as well. Follow this guide on how to hire marketing agency in Kenya.
3. Don’t forget social mediaSocial media networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and others are playing a vital role in today’s market environment. Social media is influencing the decisions consumers make every day. For small businesses, social media is a place to create brand awareness and gain attention, for large enterprise it’s a place of building brands loyalty, interacting with clients, getting customer feedback and much more, here is an article on how social media is powering today’s business. Social media marketing allows businesses to target customers based on their location, interests, age, gender, online behavior, and among other metrics. Social media is a perfect tool for marketing your small business because apart from the power of targeting the right audience, you can choose your budget and time to place your adverts. The good thing about social media marketing is you can do it yourself or hire social media management services at minimal costs.
4. Email marketingEmail marketing is another marketing strategy that small and medium business in Kenya can leverage to grow their businesses. Some of the benefits of using email marketing includes
- There is low or no cost. This is a strategy that can be put in place with little or no capital. With an email list of your clients, you don’t need to pay anything to communicate to them, inform them or remind them of your products and services.
- It is a measurable technique. After sending emails with a call to action, it is possible to track conversion and click-through rate. This is a strategy that you can track and measure its effectiveness.
- Personalization. With email marketing, you can personalize client’s message. Clients like it when you make them feel you are talking them directly and this puts you in a better position influence them to buy.
- Segmentation and targeting. You can control who receives the particular messages. You can have different audiences and send different promotion messages to separate audiences.Above are the top 4 marketing strategies for small and medium business that can result in notable growth and development. These strategies are not only effective but also require a small budget. Remember to implement these strategies the right way whether you do it yourself or delegate the duty to someone else. You can choose to hire a marketing consultancy agency for professional advice as it is critical you get the marketing part right. Some of the things you should do before implementing these strategies include defining your target market, determining your objectives, defining your mission, conducting and doing market research.